Type 2 diabetes, eye twitches, on metformin hydrochloride. Suggestion?

ENT Specialist
Hi, my left eyelid has been twitching periodically for the last 5 days or so. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and taking 500 mg of metformin hydrocloride a day for about a month now. Why is my eye twitching and how can I make it stop?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Well it is seen that many patient who is on matformin experiences such symptoms like eye twitching, neurological symptoms.

The diabetes medication metformin may interfere with B12 dietary absorption.AND the vit B12, deficiency is responsible for many symptoms like

2-Gastrointestinal symptoms
3-Neurological symptoms
4-Impaired perception of XXXXXXX touch, pressure and vibration
5-Muscular irritations.

Treatment of this condition--- Supplementation of vit B12, under supervision of your physician.

B12 can be supplemented in healthy subjects by oral pill; sublingual pill, liquid, or strip; intranasal spray; transdermal patch or by injection.

Your physician will titre the dose as per your weight. Dont worry, follow these advice, and you will be all rite.

Hope it will help you, and I am ready for future follow ups.