Type 2 diabetes. Om Lupron. Insulin response irregular. Is this normal?

I have a late onset type 2 diabetes, am on Lupron because of metastatic ca of the prostate; My insulin response is very irregular, sugar varying all over the lace on same diet and insulin. Is this common? Lupron has stopped my pain beautifully, so I am grateful - but curious.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Lupron is not known to elevate blood sugars directly. However it suppresses the body's testosterone and there is medical literature suggesting low testosterone may contribute to diabetes indirectly via several mechanisms. If insulin is not controlling your diabetes in a steady manner then it may be worth considering oral pills if deemed safe by your endocrinologist. If this can be done then a simple regimen with pills can avoid the wide fluctuations you are experiencing with insulin. Insulin is a fair choice too but it needs to be managed with more finesse and complexity