Type 2 diabetes, KUB X-Ray, end plate osteophytes, calcification in lumbar region of L4, explanation ?

I am a 46 years old male with type2 diabetes, a KUB X-ray shows I have superior and inferior end plate osteophytes seen in visualised vertebrae, also a calcified focus is seen in the right lumber region at the of L4 vertebra. please explain.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

I am Dr. Raju Arva from XXXXXXX

Please find below the specialist opinion written by Dr.S S XXXXXXX XXXXXXX surgeon in orthopedics.

The osteophytes are bony projections that form along joints.These result from a healing process which occurs after a degenrative injury to the spine or as sequential and consequential changes in bone formation which is due to aging, mechanical instability, and disease (such as Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis).

The calcific foci at the L4 vertebra could also be a resultant of the conditions mentioned above.

The above defects may cause problems in the future by compressing on the nerve roots.

I would advice you to get a CT/MRI scan of the affected spine to confirm the diagnosis and consult a Neurosurgeon for the further management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you good health.

Consultant Orthopedic surgeon.