Type 1 diabetic. Noticed dark line on foot. No injury. What could be the cause?

Feb 2013

I'm type 1 diabetic about 2 mo back on left foot noticed a 1 1/2 inch very dark line on inside of left foot just below ankle, now it's also on right foot outer side not quite as dark as left side these lines go from heel to big toe. no injury, can still feel everything on bottoms of feet what could be causing this have never seen this before, I also have no functioning thyroid
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The dark line on left foot just below the ankle is looking like a superficial vein.

As the same light dark line is present on the other leg, and the both lines are symmetrical in view of their presence on same places of foot, most probably they are looking like superficial veins of the feet.

And some times skin pigmentation because of irritation of feet by footwear may also lead to the dark lines.

But physical examination is important to identify the cause for dark line on the skin.

So I advise you to consult your Physician for the examination of the dark lines and further advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.