Type 1 diabetic. Noticed a black spot at the back of throat. What's wrong?

hi i have noticed a black spot at the back of my throat on left hand side i have had my tonsils removed when i was young im nearly 34yr and have had type 1 diabetes since 17 .
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

Thanks for your query

Black spot at the back of your throat in a type 1 diabetic patient may be due to fungal infection due to uncontrolled hyperglycemia. You didn't mention whether you have pain on deglutination or not. Diabetes is an immunocompromised condition. In presence of underlying immunocompromisation there may be flaring up of many opportunistic infection especially fungal and viral infection. Among the fungal infections candidal ulcer is very common and infection due to mucor is next most common infection causing mucormycosis. Among the viral infections CMV infections are common in this scenario. Consult an ENT specialist and go through the detailed examination of your throat by doing laryngoscopy and if lesion seen scrapings can be taken from its margin and send this sample for fungal culture and histopathological examination to choose the appropriate therapy.

Again you need to consult your diabetologist to check your current fasting and post-prandial blood sugar level along with glycosylated hemoglobin level (HbA1C) to make an idea of sugar control in the preceding 3 months. If needed your doctor should have to increase the dose of insulin to achieve control as early as possible.

Hope I have answered you. If you have further queries you can write back to me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery,

Dr Arnab Maji