Type 1 diabetic. Foul odor from urine. Tested negative for UTI. Is there any chemical imbalance?

My wife is a Type 1 diabetic. Her t-shirts are 'shredded" around the neck, chest and back area. My shirts don't do this. I was our clothes in the same detergent and fabric softner and still her shirts 'shred'. In addition, her urine has taken on a very foul odor - she has been tested/cultured for UTI and it came out negative. Is there some chemical imbalance occuring that is shredding her shirts and causing this odor??
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
A variety of things can change the way urine smells. Some conditions that cause an odor in urine are harmless and the smell is temporary. Other times, a foul smell to urine indicates a medical problem. Recognizing the causes of foul urine smells is important so that proper medical treatments can begin.
The most common causes could be
Dehydration resulting in concentrated urine
Urinary Tract Infection
Certain foods like onion and asparagus
Liver Failure
Uncontrolled diabetes can result in diabetic ketoacidosis causing ketones to spill in urine
Since she is a diabetic, she must consult the doctor immediately otherwise she may try to increase the water intake and see the response in next few days.
If the smell persists then consult her doctor and get necessary investigations done.
The shredding of the T-shirts around the neck is not likely to be related to her medical problem.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.