Type 1 diabetes, epilepsy, low BP. Can alcohol consumption be okk?

My daughter has type 1 diabetes and epilpesy and did not eat before she went out and had a few glasses of wine. I am afraid her blood sugar will drop drastically during the night...should I be worried? Is she in danger of insulin shock? She also threw up from the consumption of alcohol.
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

Yes, she has chances of getting hypoglycaemic and the chances are very much if she had her dose of insulin before leaving.As you you say she threw up after consuming alcohol I would suggest you to follow her up and advice her to consume some carbohydrates soon.Hyperglycaemia due to consumption of carbs without insulin is much less XXXXXXX than hypoglycaemia.

I would ask you to contact her and advice her on the same.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Type 1 diabetes, epilepsy, low BP. Can alcohol consumption be okk? 6 minutes later
She is on insulin pump and not sure if she adjusted it. Should I check her every hour?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, I would recommend you checking on her regularly/hourly and ascertain her glycaemic control.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.