Two little bumps on the neck at the start of spinal cord. What it could be?

I was going to ask... Right under your neck just under your hair line is that where your spine starts? I can feel I think 2 shuttle little bumps before the bigger ones start in my neck. Makes sense? I'm sure it's the start of my spinal cord but wasnt sure ! No pain at all....
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 39 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. The vertebrae are the bones that compose your spine; the first part of your spine is the cervical spine, composed by 7 bones, all have lateral "bulges", but also a "spike" right in the middle line, which can be felt by palpation; the biggest, most prominent "spike" of your neck, midline, at the very bottom of it, is the posterior process of the 7th cervical vertebrae.

The spinal cord itself is securely protected within all these bony structures.

Hope the answer helps, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Follow-up: Two little bumps on the neck at the start of spinal cord. What it could be? 5 hours later
Thank you, that's what I meant.. I think I'm feeling the vertebrae. I was just making sure that that te cervical v starts at the top of the neck? I can feel small slight bulges and then te spike line you had explained. Does this sound accurate?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 18 hours later

Thanks for you follow up. Indeed, your description seems accurate for those components of the cervical spine

Wish you the best health.

dr brenes salazar