Two C-section deliveries, tubectomy. Implications of reversal on mother and child health ?

Is tubectomy reversible, considering it was done after two C-sect deliveries, latest 13 years ago. Current age of female is 35. If possible, what are the implications for the female and child? Our priority is the female's health...
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Tubectomy reversal is possible but the extent of recanalisation of the tubes would depend on the time span between the surgery and the reversal. The sooner the reversal is done, the better are the chances of recanalisation. Microsurgery reversal techniques are commonly used nowadays and are very effective.

In your case, after 13 years of the tubal ligation procedure, I cannot give 100% confirmation that the recanalisation process will be successful. If there is success then, pregnancy should be possible provided all other factors are normal.

I suggest you get tested to check that all other factors like ovulation etc are normal before undergoing the reversal procedure.
Chances of a successful reversal after 13 years are on the lower side. There should'n be any health risks etc to the mother or the fetus if there is a successful conception.

I would also like to point out that after 2 Cesarean sections any future pregnancy has to be an elective Cesarean section as this would become a high risk case.

Please also consider assisted reproductive methods. Consult a fertility specilaist about what your options may be.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.