Twitching of thumb, pinches all over body, low pulse rate, had binge eating disorder & irregular heart beat

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My left thumb has been twitching for 4 weeks now, all day, even at night when i'm in bed. Sometimes i feel a slight pain in my thumb and arm/wrist (but not constant or unbearable), the pain comes and goes. Ive also been experiencing random pinches all over my body, i keep getting throughout the day, everywhere from my feet to head. just a bit curious.

I exercise every day (just the gym). don't smoke and I'm a social drinker. I am 5"7 and weigh 12.5 stones.
I also have a low pulse rate, which varies between 45 - 55, but think this may be due to exercising every day.

When I was younger (teens to 20s) I sometimes would make myself sick alot - binge eating, but don't do it so much now. I sometimes could feel my heart pounding or beating irregularly (don't think it would have much to do with now, but thought I would mention it). I haven't experienced irregular beats for a long time.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

The twitching you are having in your left thumb might be related to the mild occasional pain in the wrist you are having.

It could be due to a joint inflammation or early anxiety or stress. In that case will disappear once you are stress free.

Other causes could be, thyroid problem, excessive coffee use, or a nerve entrapment syndrome.

Going for a thyroid hormone profile will help in determining the cause.

Right now to relieve your symptoms you can do a cold compress and apply a local analgesic gel on the inflamed joint.

Taking Methylcobalamin supplements will help in relieving the nerve compression symptoms.

Feeling random pinches all over body might be related to electrolyte or vitamin B complex deficiency.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.

Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.

Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.