Ask a Urologist   »  

Twitching and muscle spasms in the bladder, located in the center between hips. Cause of concern?

I have an occasional twitching or spasms of a muscle or my bladder. It is directly center between my hips. What is this? Is it a sympton of something serious?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 42 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Spasms may occur due to many reasons in the genitourinary tract. The most likely reason I can see in your case is the history of kidney stones. Obstruction might cause this problem sometimes.

I would suggest you would need an ultrasound for the diagnosis after a clinical review.

It’s not serious right now, but you should be looking into it if you are experiencing continuous symptoms lest it progresses to painful spasms or worse. Either case, if stones are diagnosed - you would need treatment.

And follow lifestyle changes for preventing stones in the tract like drinking liberal amounts of soft water, lowering calcium intake will also help.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.