Twisted knee, heard popping sound, unable to walk and have severe pain. Took ibuprofen. Relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Yesterday my foot got stuck and I fell and twisted my leg. My knee made a loud popping noise and I dropped to the ground, laid there for a few minutes screaming in pain and it felt like there was warm liquid burning inside of my knee. I am unable to walk normally or straighten or bend my knee fully. I can't support my weight on the one leg, however I can stand ok if I put most of my weight on my left leg. I am wearing a knee brace now that helps me walk and icing and taking ibuprofen. The pain is horrible when I try to bend or straighten my leg, I am fine if I am laying down and my leg is bent kind of at a 40 degree angle. It hurts to sit with my leg at a 90 degree angle or more. I know that something popped in my knee, it is swollen today and I have bruising on my XXXXXXX as well. I can walk in a straight line but if I try to turn my foot while walking it feels like my knee is going to buckle. I can feel fluid in the kneecap area as well... It hurts to turn my foot left or right only if I am trying to straighten it or bend it, not if my foot is elevated.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described felt like there is a serious injury inside the knee which involves tearing of important tissue like cruciate and collateral ligament, the meniscus cartilage, or damaging the joint surface inside the knee which leads to bleeding, swelling, and subsequent instability or pain.

Limited motion is due to either swelling of the joint, scar tissue, or a bony or cartilage abnormality that blocks the normal motion of the knee. Limited motion is unhealthy for the joint.

Efforts to regain range of motion are very important and include stretching, soft tissue massage, and a careful diagnosis to determine what is causing the limited motion with treatment of the cause.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile I advice you to continue icing, knee brace application and elevation of limb. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I hope I have provided you the right guidance. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.