Twisted knee and getting terrible pain. What should I do to get relief?

Last night when getting into bed, I twisted my knee the wrong way..and had terrible pain in it...where I didn't know what to do. It was extremely painful. My husband held my knee and pulled me by my ankle and the pain subsided. What had happened?
What if this happens again?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is very likely that you suffered a mild dislocation of your knee. This is supported by the fact that with pressure on your ankle the discomfort was relieved.

Dislocations occur when there is an awkward stress put on the joints. I would doubt that this is going to occur frequently in your case and I suspect it was just a matter of the position with which your body was in at the time the injury occurred.

There's no indication for any testing or intervention at this time for you. If this does reoccur in the near future then I would consider visiting your doctor.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be hopeful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert