Twisted foot, swelling, bruises, non healing fracture, stress fracture. Treatment ?

A month ago, I fell down my basement steps and twisted my foot. My foot swelled up and all of my toes and the right side of my foot bruised. I went to the ED the next evening, because I had a fracture in this foot about 20 years ago. The X XXXXXXX showed no fracture. I was given a soft cast and crutches. I wore the soft cast at home and work, however, unable to use crutches at work because I am required to be on feet for 12+ hours with few breaks (no pun intended). The swelling and bruising went away, however, I was still walking with a slight limp because of some pain. Two days ago, my foot swelled up with 4+ pitting edema and I felt "pins and needles" in most of my toes. I went back to the ED (always happens on the weekends) and the X XXXXXXX showed a non healing fracture. Part of homegoing instructions is to see an orthopaedic physician which I will do on Monday. However, the ED doctor was somewhat evasive as to whether I had a fracture, but he listed my diagnosis as a foot fracture (more specifically metatarsal stress fracture). By no means asking you to make a diagnosis based on the information I supplied, but is it likely that I do have a new fracture? Could I possibly reinjured the old fracture. What are some of the treatment options? When this happened 20 years ago, I had a plaster cast up to my knee for approximately 6 weeks.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing to u

While you are having a soft cast on your foot, you are least likely to have a stress fracture.

The fracture which have been diagnosed now must have been there right from the day of injury but sometimes it is a hairline fracture and in an edematous foot becomes very difficult to decipher even on an X-ray right on the first day.

Your orthopaedician will help you the best after having a look at both the X-rays.

Currently you will need pain killers, anti inflammatory drugs, rest and immobilisation. Right now the treatment is a cast for six weeks like you had earlier.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.