Twisted ankle and now swollen. Feeling difficulty to walk. Should I consult a doctor?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question on my sprained ankleOn Friday at 11pm, I twisted my ankle bad and now its swollen and has been for few days and I cant walk very well on it and my pain is on the top of my ankle and on the side and shooting up my leg. My question is should I see a doctor and is their anytging they can do to help me. I am confident it's sprained though.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

For sprained ankle first line of treatment is Rest, ice fomatation, compression by crepe bandage and elevation of foot.

Sprained ankle reguire thorough clinical examination for severity. x-ray may be required to rule out any avulsion fracture and sometime MRI required to confirm the grade of ligament tear.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Follow-up: Twisted ankle and now swollen. Feeling difficulty to walk. Should I consult a doctor? 45 minutes later
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.