Twisted ankle and knee while running. Diagnosed with right medial femoral condyle fracture. Done with MRI. Wore crutches for some time. Is it right to go for resort surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 21 year old male 6'5" 220 lb athlete who was running and twisted my ankle and my knee went one direction and my upper body the other. I was diagnosed with a right medial femoral condyle fractured that occurred on April 5, 2013. But couldn't get in until April 22nd to see an orthopedist for a new appointment. My results of my MRI showed....Findings:
There is edema seen overlying the anterior patella as well as
prepatellar soft tissues. There is more significant edema as well as
subchondral fracture seen involving the medial femoral condyle.
Extensor mechanism appears intact. There is trochlear dysplasia and a
type III patella. There is no evidence of significant joint effusion.
There is no evidence of significant Baker's cyst.
The medial and lateral meniscus appear intact.
The cruciate and collateral ligaments appear intact. The popliteus
origin and iliotibial band insertion appear intact.
Incidental note is made of findings compatible with ligamentum
I wore a brace with crutches for 6 weeks. Then another 3 weeks non weight bearing with crutches. Then allowed to 50% weight bear with crutches for the next 3 weeks. On July 15.2013, My orthopedist wanted me to try to not use the crutches to see if I was still having pain and was progressing or regressing. I have been off not quite a week and am doing some physical therapy. Some days there is more pain then others and sharp at times but not sure I am improving. I walk very slowly as it hurts bad. Is my only resort surgery and if so what would this surgery involve and what is the length of rehab of not weight bearing then weight bearing?

Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I have gone through your question in detail. Do not worry, you are improving and no surgery is required at present.

Continue doing regular physical therapy. It will probably take 1-2 weeks more to become alright.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you speedy recovery. Take care.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Twisted ankle and knee while running. Diagnosed with right medial femoral condyle fracture. Done with MRI. Wore crutches for some time. Is it right to go for resort surgery? 2 days later
Just trying to be prepared if surgery ends up being the case if I don't improve slowly with therapy. What type of surgery would fix a medial condyle fracture? And how long is the rehab after surgery on crutches?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later

If healing does not occur and you do not improve, surgery can done arthroscopically to promote the regeneration of articular cartilage.

After surgery rehabilitation typically requires 4-6 weeks of protected weight bearing (on crutches).