Twins having tongue tie. Will this cause problem in future. Delayed speech? Cause?

My twin boys constantly sticking their tounge out.when they were born the doctor said both boy's have tounge tie.
They are seem to be healthy otherwise.
They started walking at 13months. They have no swallowing or chewing problem.
They understand and follow simple commands such us give me your shoes,hold your brother hands...
They only say couple of words which I thought a bit unusual at their age.tgey are 19month old.
The first thing comes up when you google "sticking out tounge"is Down syndrome.
I do not think they have it but I attach a picture so you can check their features.
They are from birth gaining with at a low rate but following their line which is about on the 0.4 percentile for weight and height.

My questions:
Do you think their speech is delayed?
What could cause the toungue sticking out?

Looking forward to your answer.

Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

Thank you for your queries. Let me try to your quesions.

(1)The child usually puts the words in to sentences at about the age of 2yrs, but some time sit and have it a bit longer. I don't think it is delayed.

(2) Causes of sticking out tangue may be due to
(a)That started with normal reflex whch the child continue to carry on
(b) The child got large tongue which is called Macroglossia. This is usually found in child with under active thyroid
(c)The child got small mouth with normal tongue which happens in mongolism. They also got diminished muscle tone (Hypotonia)
(d) Mouth breathing due to enlarged adenoid or Thyroglosal cyst. This can make the child to stick the tongue out.

I could not manage to find the picture you sent but I don't think they are mongol children.Mongolism has got such characteristic features which is instantly recognisable. After reading the history of your children I am convinced they are belongs to the heading (a). You may always consider visiting a qualified pediatrician and confirm my statements if you are still worried.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Kindest regards Dr.S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Twins having tongue tie. Will this cause problem in future. Delayed speech? Cause? 5 hours later
Thank you very much for your prompt answer.
I try to upload a picture again so you can have a look at them.

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 4 hours later

I have seen the photograph of your twin sons. I can assure you none of them has any evidence of mongolian features. As regards speech, the greatest Scientist XXXXXXX Einstein started talking at the age of five. I therefore assure you they are most likely normal children.

kindest regards Dr.S.K.Mukherjee