Twin pregnancy. Severe skin rashes. History of skin allergy and sulpha drugs allergy. Any safe medication?

My wife who is now in 17th week of pregnancy, post IVF-FET - Twin pregnancy, have been having Hive like rash ( rash looks like straight line and they keep on moving on complete body) for past month, they come and go within 3 hours , severe attack happens generally once in every 30 hours, this has become inbareable for her, our gyne said could be drug rash and advice to put "caladryl' lotion, this though helps momentraly only. My wife is suplpha alergic and has past history of skin alergy - insect bite. Kindly advice if anything would give her relief without harming the babies
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
I went through your history. It seems that your wife has urticaria more precisely dermographism.
The following factors coule be responsible.
1. Infections any where in the body.
2. Infestations like parasitic infection
3. Inhalations like pollens and dust
4. Ingestion like coke sprite etc
5. Ingestion of drugs or food
6. Injections if any
7. Auto immune in pregnancy
8. Idiopathic ie without detectable cause
As there are many causes only a dermatologist can sort it out.
Hence I suggest you to consult a dermatologist
Anti histamines only will help. There are many safe anti histamines during pregnancy.
This is only a temporary problem and need not worry
Hope she will recover soon
Prasad pvs
Follow-up: Twin pregnancy. Severe skin rashes. History of skin allergy and sulpha drugs allergy. Any safe medication? 36 minutes later
Thank you doctor, at present she is on complete bed rest, as she had been bleeding and aparently one of placenta is on lower side, though doctor donot want to disk of stitching cervix but have advice complete bed rest.
The itching actually started about a month back, and I think after progestrone oil shot.
I understand that we should go to specialist, but whould appreciate if you could suggest some home remedy , she takes a tablet of citzine when it starts itching , but not really effective.
regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
I understand your problem.
I suggest she can take hydroxyzine tab 25mg at night which will releive her symptoms. She may also apply calamine lotion .
Prasad pvs