Twin pregnancy. Having BP 170/100. Prescribed m-dopa. Normal?

Infertility Specialist
my wife is on 33 weeks of twin pregnancy. presently she is having bp of 170/100. doctor has advised 500 mg of m-dopa thrice daily. she also is expecting to get the babies delivered by another week. my question - is this normal and is the delivery almost 4-5 weeks before edd fine for the mother and babies?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi Its XXXXXXX to have high BP

Detailed Answer:

I understand yur anxiety about early delivery.

1) Twin Pregnancies majority of them get delivered before term . Before 36 weeks. This is in healthy pregnant women with twin pregnancies.

2) fetal maturity occurs earlier in twin pregnancies. Hence babies can survive better compared to singleton babies delivered early.

3) Unfortunately blood prssure is very high. This high BP eventually is very XXXXXXX for life of mother and fetus. There fore earliest delivery in your case is justified and better done earlier as there are lives at stake.

I hope you understood the gravity of situation.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Twin pregnancy. Having BP 170/100. Prescribed m-dopa. Normal? 13 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the detailed answer. I understood the gravity of the situation and would surely go with the delivery as early as possible as per both you and our doctors advise.

A follow-up question:
The doctor also mentioned administering two Betnesol 12mg Injections 12 hours apart once the diastolic BP is brought down to 90 using M-Dopa. Is this advisable?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both are advisable

Detailed Answer:
Betnesol is for improving lung maturity in babies being delivered soon. M-dopa is to bring down BP. Both are essential in her case. Your doctor is right.