Twin baby having runny nose and tear in eyes. Not cured by decongestant. What should be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi Doctor, my 16 moth old twin boys has had runny nose for a week now and has not resolved even if I have been giving them a decongestant for 7 days. They also cough occasionally and have teary eyes. They are otherwise ok, no fever and still playful, ut want to know why the runny nose and teary eyes does not want to go away.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
Hello ,
Considering the details you have provided your boys are most probably suffering from a viral or allergic rhinitis which commonly may take a couple of weeks to resolve .
The watering eyes and cough are as a consequence of the nasal congestion .
Since they do not have fever , worsening cough or fast breathing or irritability a bacterial infection is less likely .
I assume they do not have any known allergies so mostly they do seem to have caught a viral upper respiratory infection.
This condition is self resolving and though decongestants do provide some temporary relief they may not cure it .
Home remedies like using steam inhalations thrice daily and saline or decongestant nose drops like nasomist or otrivin pediatric might provide some relief.
Make them drink plenty of water to maintain hydration and loosen the mucus .
I hope you have consulted their doctor for prescription medications like chlorpheniramine for rhinitis .If not it's advisable to get them evaluated by a pediatrician for the best management .
Also if the doctor suspects any risk of a superadded bacterial infection which at present seems unlikely he may start a course of antibiotic like amoxicillin or azithromycin .
So please do not worry , in my opinion you can safely wait for another week for self resolution of symptoms but in case they develop worsening symptoms as mentioned above then seek prompt consultation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing them a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Twin baby having runny nose and tear in eyes. Not cured by decongestant. What should be done? 16 minutes later
Thank you for your answer
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 37 minutes later
You are most welcome .
Its my pleasure to answer your queries.
In case you satisfied with my answer kindly press the accept button to close the query.