Turp,prostatitis,abdominal pain

Had a turp for prostatitis 24days ago and have abdominal pain
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From what you have submitted it looks like over three weeks ago you were treated with eight transurethral resection of the prostate. It would be unusual for this procedure to cause abdominal pain this far away from the actual date of surgery.

We would have to consider other possible contribute factors which could cause general abdominal pain.

One consideration would be constipation. If you have been taking any type of pain medication this could cause constipation. If you have not had a good bowel movement within the last day or so this would be one good consideration.

The next thing we should consider would be a Urinary tract infections can cause a significant degree of lower abdominal pain. If you are noticing that you are urinating more frequently or if you're waking up at night more often than usual this would be something that might be going on.

The other consideration we might have to think about would be gastritis or some irritation of your of the stomach lining. If you have some associated nausea or increase in belching this would be something we would want to consider.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this abdominal pain I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.