Tumour in left lung is shown in PET scan, CAT scan and biopsy. Biopsy showed cancer. What stage of lung cancer is it?

I had a PET Scan, Cat Scan, Biopsy and it is determined that I have an 8C tumor in my left lung.......biopsy stated it was they have to shrink it or can it be removed whole as is....what stage of lung cancer is this.

Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chemotherapy and radiotherapy, maybe surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The is a solitary tumor (meaning not yet spread yet). Generally, treatment is through surgery, radiation or chemotherapy. The decision depends on the size, the histologic sub type, past family history of the cancer and other cancers and presence or absence of spread of the tumor. In your case, Radiation therapy with chemotherapy could be sufficient.

However, other elements and including the experience and expertise of the pulmonologist and radiotherapist are important. Early and appropriate treatments result in favorable outcomes. So no worries.

I do suggest you concert with your pulmonologist for further management. Thanks and wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD.