Tumors on body, dry eyes, tremors in the iris, neurofibromitsosis, wants to do tests. Specialist recommendation ?

Neurofibromitsosis.- tumors on body and skin, I like to ask if you can let me know since I am 22 years old. I like to wonder if an optometrist can seek tumors in the Iris. I have not shared information much to my eye doctor about it. The tumors have been increasing and I noticed more and more have been growing. The concern I am is in my eye. I like to also wonder if this is something I should certainly share with my eye doctor. Please let me know. I really do not want to lose priviledges wearing contact lenses. I have been using eye drops for my dry eyes and because of my dry eyes, I wasn't able to get contacts. After using the eye drops for a week, I came back..he fitted me for new contact lenses. I walked out a happy camper.big smile.very satisifed with how he treats me. He is a very patient eye doctor. and I never found anyone whom really takes their work seriously.Can he refer me to a specialist if I ask him to so that in the future I will see one so that I can do the necessary tests.?

I really appreciate your time with me. If you can be patient with me. I am willing to be happy and pay for a good answer. Thank you. If any questions of any kind.Please ask. I will answer.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 15 hours later

Lesions on the iris can be seen even without magnification,but they are better differentiated on slit lamp examination which differentiates them from nevi.

Knowledge of neurofibrometosis does not prevent or delay the doctor from giving you contact lenses.Contact lenses were delayed due to dry eye which occurred independently of NF.
Once your doctor has full knowledge of NF then he can refer you to specialist for further tests and investigations as and when needed.This is important to manage complications if they occur.
You will still be a happy patient without the loss of privilege of contact lenses as they are not contraindicated in NF.

Your doctor should have complete knowledge of your background disease to serve you better.

I hope ,I have allayed your fears and answered all your queries in case of any doubt please do get back to me

Follow-up: Tumors on body, dry eyes, tremors in the iris, neurofibromitsosis, wants to do tests. Specialist recommendation ? 1 hour later
thank you for coming back to me. I apologize.

So if he would have seen the lesions of the iris, he would have definitely said something. correct?
I asked him about the dilation and because it was my first time...he said it was good to do he did it..He said, "it appears your eyes are good and healthy"

Now what do you mean the dry eyes are "occurred independently of NF..."

I also did the visual testing which I did perfectly fine on according to my fill in eye doctor "Dr.Garcia" She was very brilliant. It came to my mind she knew what nf1..she knew that tumors form on skin and I mean I call every other place about the eye doctors..they had no idea!!! but I have spoken to dr.garcia about it.i asked about the visual test.she said it can seek tumors in the brain... and i said..let me do the test. and for the other eye doctor which is mine actually.he performed dilation...which I already said before.

Now the eye doc will be understanding of my situation. I just got scared and I really do want to tell him but it just can seem to come out...

I appreciate it
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 35 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

Dry eye is a problem of the outermost layer of the eye and is not related to NF(neurofibomatosis).This occurs due to pollution exposure and prolonged computer work due to less blinking.

Dr Gracia seems to be a good doctor and she must have had an idea about your NF after having examined you.

It is good that you have been examined fully after dilation and the doctor is fully satisfied.

There is a part of brain which is visible when your eye is examined.Since the doctor is fully satisfied we can rest assured.

You should keep in touch with Dr Gracia as she understand your problem fully.

Follow-up: Tumors on body, dry eyes, tremors in the iris, neurofibromitsosis, wants to do tests. Specialist recommendation ? 12 hours later
But what about the nodules....? I can get lische nodules in my iris...should mY doctor be aware I can get that...? or can the dilation detect that...? I can just let him know so he can check for it every yr
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later
Thanks for getting back again.

It was the lische nodules i was mentioning about,when i noted that these nodules are supposed to be seen even without magnification by focal illumination only.

Their differentiation is to be made from nevi which are flat.This differentiation is possible by slit lamp examination.

Since these nodules are on the surface of iris they are not affected by dilation.

These nodules will be the first thing the doctor is supposed to notice.

These will automatically be checked by the doctor on your yearly visits.

Once the doctor has an idea about NF(neurofibromatosis) he will automatically looks for these signs.

Follow-up: Tumors on body, dry eyes, tremors in the iris, neurofibromitsosis, wants to do tests. Specialist recommendation ? 13 hours later
So this following Thursday...I will be going in for my follow up for my contact lenses...I can just let him know about it than ask him if he can keep a look out for it..and have me do all of the tests yearly.?
Should he also refer me to a specialist or can he detect the nodules himself ? if he said my eyes are good and healthy..than maybe I don't have nodules ? they are harmless anyway..I believe its what i read when i looked it up...

thanks again so much

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
Welcome back.These nodules may already looked into by your doctor.Still if you mention about NF and nodules on the iris we will be sure that these were looked for already by the doctor.
In case of any requirement the doctor may feel necessary to refer you to a specialist which i feel under the circumstances unnecessary,and yearly checkups are always welcome.

Wish you good health.