Tumor diagnosed in the chest. Had injury in the chest. Does tumor have a blood supply?

can a tumour have a blood supply; or if the tumour has a blood supply does it mean cancer. I was just told I have a tumour on my chest. About one year ago I injured my chest/sternum and I thought maybe the large lump was due to the injury.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Your first question has a very simple answer. Most solid tumors do have a central blood supply. some tumors also secrete growth factors which recruit more blood vessel formation to supply the tumor with nutrients and oxygen.

I would be interested to know what type of tumor they have found in your chest. There are several different types of tumors that can be found in this area including breast cancer or cancer of the soft tissue which is known as sarcoma.

Certainly a tissue diagnosis would be necessary which would include a biopsy. The pathologist can then review the biopsy and guide your physician regarding the true diagnosis. At that point the treatment option or treatment plan can be discussed.

Sometimes imaging studies may be requested including CT scan or PET scan. This can also help your doctors with the diagnosis and to see if there are any lymph nodes which might be enlarged which sometimes occurs in some solid tumors.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert