Tube testing done. No peritoneal spill seen. What does this mean?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I did Tube testing on the 26th , this month and the result says

.NO PERITONEAL SPILL, probably technical contrast reflexed back in to the vagina.

What does this means?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. 

The HSG test you have undergone was not done properly. The contrast is a liquid visible on x XXXXXXX This should pass through uterus, fallopian tubes and spill in to peritoneal cavity ( abdomen ). 

Unfortunately the XXXXXXX ( liquid) has not entered uterus and spilled out which could be due 2 reasons : 1) Due to tight os of cervix . This should be dilated in some women 2) Faulty techniques of performing .

Tight cervix needs be ruled out by a gynecologist. Hence see a gynecologist and request the doctor to be present during test who can help in dilating cervix. 

This report is faulty and does not mean anything. Please get it done again. 
I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Tube testing done. No peritoneal spill seen. What does this mean? 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to clarify the following

You have mentioned the below as a second reason, what does that menas?
2) Faulty techniques of performing

This should be dilated in some women, i am not clear on this too.

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX, glad to see you back. Let me clear your confusions : 1) Faulty technique means wrong way of performing HSG. HSG needs skilled techician to do the job. The canula has to fit properly into the mouth of uterus (cervix). This is done wrong and XXXXXXX does not enter uterus . Hence the report as yours is obtained. 2) In some conditions the cervix is very tightly closed and prevents entry of cannula and XXXXXXX into uterus . In such conditions gynecologist dilate the cervix (entrance) using medicines or dilator instrument to help canula enter into cervix and hence pass the XXXXXXX I hope you are clear now. Let me know if you have anymore queries. If no more queries please accept my answer. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Tube testing done. No peritoneal spill seen. What does this mean? 4 days later
Thank you very much. Now i understand well, but i am scared now to do it again.

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 hours later
Hi, please don't be scared. Its a simple test. XXXXXXX your gynecologist and ask them to send you to a good centre to perform HSG. Request them to accompany you during procedure if possible. I am hopeful you will get accurate result this time. I wish you early pregnancy. Please accept my answer if no more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist