Trying to reduce tryglcerides and raise HDL. What are the best dietary changes?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I am trying to reduce my tryglcerides and raise my Hdl.As for Hdl I excercise regularly as I know this is key yet not much change- what are the best dietary changes I can make?As for the tryglcerides what diet changes or supplements are most effective?I sometimes use 5 hour energy which has a good amount of niacin-is this helpful?Fish oil has been recommended -do you agree? Thank You XXXXXXX B
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Neethu Vipin 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
HDL levels between 40 and 60 mg/dL are considered as normal.

Here are the dietary guidelines for increasing the HDL.

Maintaining healthy weight - Losing weight at least 5% of current body weight, especially if you are overweight will automatically increase the HDL. If the excess weight is around your abdominal area losing weight will definitely help you in increasing the HDL level.

Eliminating Trans Fat - Tran’s fats are the bad fats which will increase your triglycerides and decrease the HDL. The sources of Tran’s fat will be vanaspathi, margarine, ghee etc. So completely avoid those from the diet. Reading the nutritional information from the packed foods also will help you to avoid those from your Diet. If the packages mentioned “contains trans-fat, partially hydrogenated fats, hydrogenated fats” etc. avoid those. Most of the bakery products will contain these type of fats only. So avoid that as well.

Mono unsaturated Fatty acids- Increased amounts of mono unsaturated fatty acids in the diet can increase HDL cholesterol, without increasing the total cholesterol. Canola oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and fats in peanut butter can provide monounsaturated fats in the diet.

Omega 3 fatty Acids- these are the good fats seen in fishes like sardines, salmons, if you take non -veg consider including these in the diet. The vegetarian sources include walnuts, soaked almonds and certain fortified vegetable oil. You can also take a cod liver oil supplement with your doctor’s prescription.

Fiber XXXXXXX Diet- soluble fibres in whole grains, pulses, fruits and vegetables will help you to increase the HDL along with the reduction of Total cholesterol. Try to have at least 4 -5 serving of vegetable per day and 1-2 serving of fruits per day.

If you smoke then, Quit Smoking- Giving up tobacco and any kind of tobacco products can increase the HDL levels.

Dark chocolate is effective in increasing the HDL cholesterol. Per day you can take a piece of 2 inch square dark chocolate which contains cocoa at least 70% or more than that.

Boosting Vitamin B- Niacin and Pantothenic acid are proven its benefit to increase the HDL. Before taking the supplements, please ask for your doctor’s opinion as well, since they may have side effects or reactions with the current medications.

Exercise- regular exercise will be the key factor to reduce the LDL, thus increasing the HDL. So plan for at least 30- 45 minutes of brisk walk or any other aerobic exercise like running, swimming, jogging etc.

Hope I have answered your query

Eat Well stay well

Neethu Vipin