Trying to quit smoking, fearful of lung cancer, have hypochondria, pain in lung, low energy. Have celiac disease. History of pneumonia

Question
hello,

i am 31 yr old woman. I smoke about 5 cigs a day. i am trying to quit. i have smoked on and off for about 3 years. i am fearful i may have lung cancer. i am a slight hypochondriac but i had pneumonia in my right lung about 3 years ago and the pain in my right lung comes and goes ever since..

i also feel low on energy when i run..

i also have celiac disease
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

If you have very much decreased appetite and lost weight recently
Also if you have breathlessness and cough noticed any blood in the phlegm
Then there would be a need to rule out lung cancer in you.

You may have to go for a high resolution CT scan which identifies cancer in
early stages .

If you do not have above symptoms and considering the duration of the smoking
I would say that the chances of you havin cancer are remote.
Need not worry.

Quit smoking , do use any assisting techniques like nicotine chewing gums, nicotine
patches or electronic cigarettes.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Trying to quit smoking, fearful of lung cancer, have hypochondria, pain in lung, low energy. Have celiac disease. History of pneumonia 5 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply.

I do not have a cough, nor do i cough up blood, but i do get winded when i run up 2 flights of steps and feel tired a lot and sometimes i feel lightheaded.

I eat a lot, and i am not losing weight.

I have tried to quit but usually start smoking again when stressed.

I am not sure what assisting techniques to try.

I get concerned because I feel like the right side lung only, burns or hurts under my shoulder blade or better known as the scapula.

Its this pain that has been on and off for years that frightens me.

would i know by now if i was in later stage lung cancer?

Thank You Again!
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

The pain you have could be due to scars left out by the pneumonia you had in past.

The breathlessness could also be attributed to the same cause.

Need not worry based on the history you have given above I do not suspect it to be Cancer to be any near possibility.

Do go for Electronic cigarettes , this may help you as you say you smoke when stressed , this suits better.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Trying to quit smoking, fearful of lung cancer, have hypochondria, pain in lung, low energy. Have celiac disease. History of pneumonia 4 minutes later
Thank you so much.

One last question..

So this doesn't sound like emphysema or copd?

I will shop for smoking cessation products this week.

The fatigue and lightheadedness doesn't sound like lung cancer?

Thanks Again for all your help!!
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease) do present with sever exacerbations of breathlessness.Well, you are at risk of one but I do not consider that is the diagnosis in you.

No, the fatigue and lightheadedness could be as the result of the breathlessness you have.Stopping cigarettes will give you relief from these symptoms.

Wish you good health.