Trying to quit smoking and drinking. What should I do?

I want to Quit Smoking And Drinking.Please Advice.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
I congratulate you for your great idea of quitting two evils in one go!
Actually they are habits that we develop over time and get used to them and still later we become dependent on them.
With chronic use the Dependence is produced which may be-
1. Physical dependence
2. Psychological dependence.
The first one cause more severe symptoms and causes withdrawal syndromes that can be life threatening at times, so the discontinuation as a rule should be slow, this particularly is the case with alcohol and opioids.
Tobacco produces psychological dependence and is easy to stop.
You can seek help of a medical practitioner, these days good drugs are there that can help you wean from these addictions.
Take a firm resolution not to restart and avoid the company which is a stimulus for such activities.
I think with good resolution and watchful behaviour change you would win.