Trying to quit smoking. Parents diabetic, kidney problems, heart problems, prostate gland problem. Chances?

I sleep 8 hours a for at least 2 and half hours. Sit and work for 8 and more hours.I smoke a cigar per day.Trying to leave that habit and could not do it as i wished.Eat outside for 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches. Parents are diabetic. Dad has back pain problems, heart problems,prostrate gland problem. Mom has thyroid problem,Kidney malfunctioning problem.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for query.

I understand your concern as your parents are diabetic.

Remember diabetes is not a hereditary disease.

In diabetes there is interplay between environmental and genetic factors, leading to a chain of events, ultimately leading to diabetes.

Since you are leading a sedentary life, smoking and having most of the meals outside, you must bring a life style change in you to avoid getting diabetes, hypertension early.

Do regular exercises for at least 45 minutes a day.

Reduce you weight if more.

Quit smoking at any cost.

Avoid eating outside regularly as it is greasy and full of trans-fats.

Avoid colas and junk foods.

Avoid biscuits, pastries etc as they have lot of trans-fats in them.

Take more of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables.

Since psychosocial factors are one of the important constituents of modern diseases, you must do yoga and meditation to de-stress you.

I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any follow up query.

Thanks and best of luck.