Trying to lose weight.Will this end up with lose skin or stretch marks. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. So i am 19, female, 5 ft 6 and i weigh about 210 pounds. I want to weigh around 145.. so I have to lose 65 pounds. I feel very anxious about it.. all i want is to look and feel healthy.. and I keep giving up. For 2 weeks i was walking or biking 3-4 hours a week, and eating 1500 calories... i went from 215 to 207.. then for the past week and a half i gave up and went back to 210. I have about 7 weeks until the summer is over and I really want to be less than 190 by then. If i cant even do this with a free schedule.. ill never do it at school. I feel very anxious that ill end up with loose skin, or stretch marks, and I just want the weight off. I get impatiant and stress that im not seeing results fast enough and give up. HElp!
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Losing 8 lbs in two weeks is a good enough progress and is not disheartening at all.
Slow and steady weight loss of no more than 1-2 pounds per week is the safest way to lose weight. Too rapid weight loss can cause you to lose muscle rather than fat. It also increases your chances of developing other problems, such as gallstones and nutrient deficiencies. Making long-term changes in your eating and physical activity habits is the only way to lose weight and keep it off!
Whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight, you must improve your eating habits. Eat a variety of foods, especially pasta, rice, wholemeal bread, and other whole-grain foods. Reduce your fat-intake. You should also eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
Making physical activity a part of your daily life is an important way to help control your weight. Try to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day on most days of the week.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.