Trying to lose weight. Not eating properly and feel light headed. How to prevent?

I am trying to loose 20-30 lds. My problem is sometimes if I don't eat enought I feel light headed and I then end up eating sugar snack to feel better. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your problem is indeed one of the common problems faced by many who try to restrict their diet. Here's how you can tackle this problem...

You can follow a three meal two snack pattern of diet. This way your intake will be more evenly spread out and you would this be avoiding drastic ups and downs in your blood sugar levels.

Secondly, follow a stricter timings for your meals and avoid delays. Delaying your meals increases the stomach acid secretions, which will further increase your hunger levels and make you end up eating more than you intend.

Rather than merely reducing the quantity of your intake, try taking more proportions of low carb, high fibre foods. You can fill your plate with salads, veggies etc. so that your stomach feels full and at the same time you don't end up taking more calories. Remember, diet control is not just about how much food you restrict, rather its about how many calories you cut down.

Stock your kitchen with cereal bars, have a jar of lime juice in your fridge and clear out any sweets, chocolates or unhealthy snacks, so that whenever you have uncontrollable urges to eat inbetween, you'll have healthy alternatives.

If you haven't checked your blood sugars recently, please have it checked as sometimes, this could also be the culprit.

I hope that you will be able to try these suggestions and benetit from them.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar