Trying to lose weight. Looking for diet plans

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi, I am trying to loose weight for the last one year, intensive diet plans (GM Diet) and exercise resulted in 14 Kgs weight loss.
Due to work demands I have not been able to go to Gym and take up a diet plan for the last 4 months and have put back 4 Kg's.
I aim to loose another 10Kgs, with a mix of walking (5kms a day) and planned diet. Can you please advice me a diet plan.
I enjoy dining outside and go out twice a week too.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your Query,

I always tell my patients to lose weight in a healthier way rather than going through short cuts. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight. Since your have been trying to lose weight, initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week. This will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month.

In order to reduce your weight, it is necessary for diet modifications and lifestyle changes.
Your diet should be high in fiber - which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXX foods and low in fat.

To start the day, eat a healthy breakfast with all essential nutrients, I would suggest you to have Oats or Corn Flakes or Muesli with skimmed Milk without sugar or jaggery (you may add one fruit) in the morning for all days.
Take XXXXXX tea without sugar as a mid-morning snack along with some hi-fiber biscuits. XXXXXX Tea really helps to prevent the fat deposition in the body and also high in anti-oxidants which aids in weight loss.
For lunch, restrict on rice, take three Roti without oil, with vegetables and dhal along with a glass of Skimmed Buttermilk. Include salads on a regular basis to increase the fiber content in the diet and avoid sweets, pappad, pickles which are high in calories.
During evening, have a very light snack like boiled corn or any fruit or a mixed fruit bowl or two slices of wheat bread sandwich or low fat fruit flavoured yogurt.
Have an early dinner before 8 pm, avoid rice and any preparations made from rice like Idli, dosa during this time; have either roti made with wheat flour or jowar flour without oil, along with vegetables and dhal, include salads also. You can use any other cereal like ragi, jowar, broken wheat. Avoid rice during dinner.
Bedtime - a fruit can be taken.

Fruits like Banana, Seethaphal, Sapota, Avocado, Watermelon, Mango and all Root vegetables (except radish, turnip, carrot) need to be avoided in the diet.

There should be a gap of 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs time intervals before you go to bed, after dinner.

If you are a non- vegetarian, you can choose Chicken or fish which can be taken twice weekly, preferably in a curry form without coconut used for the preparations.

Boiled egg white is preferred rather than whole egg.

Keep yourself much hydrated; take at least 3-4 liters of water every day.

You can modify your physical activity since your body is used to the same form of exercise. Try to change to either jogging, or running with some simple abdominal exercise along with your daily routine exercises.

Hope you will try to follow the diet.

Best of wishes for success - Start today!!

Grace Abraham