Trying to lose weight. Have arthritis in knees and kidney stones. Advice diet plan?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi My name is XXXXXXX. My present weight is 80.5 Kgs. I have arthritis in both knees and have kidney stones in both. I was to do physical exercise by when ever start running at about 1 Km there is a pain in by stomach, I feel like a heavy bubble in stomach and its stops me from running. I never use to drink (Alcohol) and smoke. I am pure vegetarian. Please advise me some Gujarati diet. I want to lose 12kgs of weight.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 12 hours later

Weight reduction is more beneficial in cases of arthritis.
A diet for arthritis will include foods, which you need to experiment a little to see what works for you.

You can start by eliminating all foods on the list, then re-introduce them one at a time into your diet, and see the results over 2 to 3 weeks. If you find that your arthritis pain increases then there is a good chance that this particular food is a trigger and it would be wise to totally eliminate if from your diet. Below are some foods, which are to be avoided:
•Members of the nightshade family such as:
- Tomatoes - white potatoes - eggplants - red peppers - tobacco.
•Wax covered fruit and citrus fruit. These days much of our fruit is wax covered to improve shelf life but organic fruit should not be.
•Dairy products such as cow’s milk, cheese and yogurt.
•Sugar and foods containing sugar:
- Chocolate - sweets - soft drinks - syrup - honey
•Flour and XXXXXXX made from white wheat:
- Avoid foods where ingredients include cereal binders, cereal fillers or cereal protein, wheat starch or edible starch.
•Dry roasted nuts - raw nuts like almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts.
- Alcohol - tea - coffee (including decaffeinated) - cocoa - soft drinks
•Foods containing caffeine.
•Restrict use of butter and margarine.
•Salt, pepper and vinegar.
You may find that you do not need to eliminate all these foods but only some or you might get arthritis pain relief by restricting your intake of some foods.

Below are some foods, which you need to consume:
• Anti-inflammatory foods like ginger, garlic, turmeric and apples.
•Fruits especially XXXXXXX in vitamin C should be consumed. The fruits XXXXXXX in Vitamin C include sweet limes, oranges, strawberries, kiwi fruit, peaches, apples, etc.
•Along with Vitamin C, arthritic diet should also be XXXXXXX in Vitamin A. Foods XXXXXXX in vitamin A include squash, collard, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.
•Flax-seed contains Omega 3 essential fatty acids. These seeds can be had in powdered form as well.
•Have nuts and seeds like walnut, almond, linseed, pumpkin seed, etc. which are not roasted and are not salted.
•Pulses, lentils, brown unpolished rice should be consumed.
•People with arthritis benefit a great deal from food XXXXXXX in magnesium like apricots, bananas, beans, whole grains, and leafy vegetables.
Now that you know what foods to avoid with arthritis, it is important that you are well observant about what you eat. This will help you to know which food helps in alleviating the symptoms of arthritis and which of them aggravates the symptoms.
Along with the above diet modification, you can do mild aerobics and brisk walking is considered best for your knee joints. You can consult a physiotherapist for further management.

As you have mentioned about the kidney stones, it would be good if you can specify the type of stone. Each type of kidney stone has some specific foods, which need to avoided and included.
Kindly revert with details.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham
Follow-up: Trying to lose weight. Have arthritis in knees and kidney stones. Advice diet plan? 10 hours later
Please let me know the reason for stomach pain when I used to run. This pain is unbearable.
Answered by Grace Abraham 15 hours later

My expertise is restricted only to nutrition and nutrition associated problems such as weight management. But I have taken a curb side consultation with one of my associate physician about your problem. The comments of the physician are as follows:

Upper abdominal pain (stomach pain) while running is mostly due to muscular ache (cramp); Resting and drinking plenty of fluids during exercise can reduce such pains.

You are encouraged to visit a nearby physician for careful examination. Abdominal hernia (epigastric hernia) can rarely present with upper abdominal pain while exercising.

Grace Abraham
Follow-up: Trying to lose weight. Have arthritis in knees and kidney stones. Advice diet plan? 9 hours later
Thanks. Can I have personal visit for my diet plan? My contact No is 0000 and mail Id is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Grace Abraham 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back. You can avail the "personalized diet plan" service that we have.

Please visit the below link for further assistance:-

Mail us at YYYY@YYYY for any clarifications needed from our side.

Grace Abraham