Trying to heal ruptured disc at L-5 which has protruded into the sciatic nerve. Should I wait for colonoscopy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I should have a colonoscopy (haven't had one since 1985), but am trying to heal from a ruptured disc at L-5 which has protruded into the sciatic nerve. Should I wait a little longer to have the colonoscopy? Will it hurt the disc? I don't want to get set back.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A ruptured disc with the symptoms of nerve compression should be allowed to heal properly before going for a colonoscopy if there is no emergency.
Since you are going to have colonoscopy for diagnostic purposes, you can wait for few weeks more for the disc symptoms to subside. Abnormal body positions during colonoscopy can aggravate the pain sometimes.
You can get yourself examined by your orthopedician for your fitness for the procedure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.