Trying to find supplements to increase absorption of nutrients. Is taurine safe at stage III kidney disease?

Excellent

Question
I am trying to find supplements to increase absorption of nutrients. Is taurine safe if you have chronic stage III kidney disease?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

It is safe to use taurine in kidney disease(stage III). Taurine is one of the amino acids that is naturally required by the body. It is very important in the normal functioning of the brain, retina, platelets,

What puzzles me is that this amino acid is not well noted to increase nutrient absorption. However, if this is to increase its body levels, then it is a good idea.

Hope this addresses your query fully. You are welcome to ask follow up questions for clarifications if need be.

Thanks and wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Trying to find supplements to increase absorption of nutrients. Is taurine safe at stage III kidney disease? 29 hours later
Sorry it took so long. I had to leave for the day. It is to help the body metabolize protein better. Also for allergies and eyes (cataract surg pending). I failed to mention Hep-C 1a. Liver is great on biopsy. Drug interactions? I take: Plaquenil (RA), estrogen, Morphine Sulfate (back,hand,feet pain), Benicar (hi B/P), stool softener, doxepin 25mg cap. (I empty most taking <1/3), Benadryl 1/2 of 25mg and some prn's occasionally. Any further advice on safety? Thank you so much for your time and kindness. XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drug interactions less likely with Taurine

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up question.

I am so sorry to hear about this Hepc but glad to hear you are doing great on Biopsy. Hope it stays same. Remember to ask your doctor if there are any treatment options at this time for your liver problems.

Taurine is a naturally occurring substance that is present in our systems at all times. It would be very unlikely for it to cause a drug reaction. If this were to be the case, even without supplementation the taurine in your body would have already given clues to this.

Feel free using this supplement with the above drugs.
I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Trying to find supplements to increase absorption of nutrients. Is taurine safe at stage III kidney disease? 3 hours later
I a so delighted to have a place and Dr. answer a simple question with a simple answer and no refer you to another specialist type attitude. Thank you very much for your time and honesty. Honesty and a direct answer seems so hard to find in the U.S. medical community these days as well as patient education!! To me this is more important than all the "medicine/pharmacology" suggestions U/S. Dr's seem so focused on anymore. Again, THANK YOU! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you very much, too!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks fr your very encouraging words.

I am happy and feel honored having been of help to you. Above all, Am humbled by this opportunity you offered me to be able to exchange with you on this.

Please, May I suggest you consider closing the discussion at this point? Would you please offer us a few minutes of your time writing a review to help us better serve you next time? Thank you once more.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD