Trying to concieve, on Citalopram. Have heard that citalopramm damages sperm. Suggest?

I am 26 years old and currently on 20mg of Citalopram, and me and my wife want to get pregnant. I have heard that citalopram can damage sperm (cause mobility issues and DNA fragmentation). I was wondering if being on this drug will make it much more difficult to get pregnant, and if not, then, could it cause birth defects if she does get pregnant?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Delighted to be able to help.

Citalopram can affect sperm quality but the damage is usually reversible when you stop taking it. However the test to know if citalopram is causing this adverse effect is to make a sperm analysis. After 3-5 days without masturbation, is collected a sperm sample and is analyzed. If different values ​​(ejaculate volume, sperm concentration, motility, morphology) are normal, you can conceive.

The influence of citalopram (and many drugs) on birth defects occurs when the mother is taking the drug. During pregnancy (especially in the first three quarter) many drugs are contraindicated for the mother.

Please go to your Doctor to request sperm analysis.

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.