Trying to conceive using IUI, regular travelling job. Will that affect the chances of conceiving?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctors,
I am trying to conceive using IUI. Every 5 weeks or so I need to travel (with my job) from the UK to Asia for 1 week, (flying between 3 countries in 1 week.) On my return it usually takes me a week to recover fully from jet-lag. (I obviously time my trips around insemination).
How likely is it that this regular long-haul travel will effect my body and therefore my chances of conceiving?
I am 40 years old and weigh 56kg.
Thank you in anticipation. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 9 hours later

Intrauterine insemination IUI - is a simple procedure which helps older women with infertility problems

The schedule you have mentioned about traveling - should not really affect you chances of falling pregnancy. However there is stress pattern as you need to balance out work and you treatment regimens. Jet lags as you mentioned can be distressing to jump back into routine.
Your age is also to be considered as you must be aware that the older a women gets the chance of pregnancy is lower.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Trying to conceive using IUI, regular travelling job. Will that affect the chances of conceiving? 51 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr. Thakkar.

So, if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that any adverse impact is likely to be caused by the psychological stress of balancing work and treatment, versus any physical stress brought about by my body/sleep pattern being affected by time zone adjustment - can I just check that I've got that right?

One other question - is it okay for me to take sleeping tablets (either prescription like Tamazapan/Stilnocht, or o.t.c like Sominax or Nytol) to aid time-zone adjustment when I might be pregnant?

Thank you in advance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

You have got me right. Stress is a major factor and increases the release of stress hormones in the body.

The use of the sleeping medications during pregnancy is not recommended, in fact they may be XXXXXXX However you may consult your Obstetrician and she should be able to help you with medications that can ease your stress.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Nandita Thakkar