Trying to conceive twins,medical procedures?

I am a 24 Years Old Married Woman. I am 58 Kgs . So far Me and my husband we have been having protected sex.

My husband is very keen on getting Twins. So i would like to discuss about the steps I need to take for that to happen. I would also like to know the possible methods available including any kind of medical procedures.

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 35 minutes later

Twin pregnancy occurs naturally under two circumstances:
1. Paternal twins: When two eggs are released by the ovary in a single menstrual cycle and both get fertilized and implanted into the uterus.
2. Maternal twins: When a single fertilized ovum divides and starts growing as two separate embryos.

There is no way in which you can control the occurrence of either of the above.

The only way in which you have a high chance of conceiving twins is through in-vitro fertilization (IVF). In this procedure, eggs are harvested from your ovaries and fertilized using your husband's semen in the laboratory. The fertilized embryos are then implanted into your uterus.

IVF is used to treat infertile couples who fail to conceive naturally. It involves several blood tests, ultrasound examinations, physical examinations. Besides it involves considerable expense as well.

In addition, it is important to note that twin pregnancies are not easy. They are associated with more risks to the mother as well as the babies.

The mother has a higher chances of developing complications such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, preterm labor, caesarian section delivery. The babies may suffer from intrauterine growth retardation, low birth weight, prematurity.

In my opinion, having a healthy baby is of prime importance- single baby or twins is secondary. I would advise you to try and conceive naturally.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.