Trying to conceive, took IUI. Getting pregnancy symptoms and advised Duphaston with Folinal. Further?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi doctor,

Me and my wife (XXXXX) have been trying to have a baby for quite sometime now, but unfortunately, things have not worked out normally.
She is 30 amd I am 32.
We are both in the IT profession.
Also, my sperm count is 72 million, with 90% motility.

As advised by our OBGYN, my wife took 2 IUIs, the second on the 7th of this month. Since then, she has been getting some pregnancy symptoms on and off. She was advised to take Duphaston 10 mg for 10 days (twice a day) to support the pregnancy, if successful. She has also been taking Folinal for the last 4-5 months. Also, the doc has advised a laproscopy if this IUI is not successful.

Wanted your opinion on the above scenario.

When should we take the pregnancy test to get a confirmed result and not end up with a false positive or a false nagative?
Does laproscopy really help in this cause?
Also, is it advisable to go for a laproscopy after just 2 cycles of IUI or should we try a couple of cycles more before going for a lap?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly do pregnancy test & scan.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
If IUI was done in July month you can do one transvaginal scan if she has not yet got menses, as she might be pregnant. If she is pregnant, pregnancy should be definitely visible on scan.
Regarding your other query, its better to get laparoscopy done before further IUI as if any problem is found & if corrected, it will improve chance of conception in future IUI cycles. IUI gives decent chance of pregnancy upto 4 cycles, so if you do 4 cycles of IUI & then laparoscopy, it will be of little use for further cycles. If you are not mentally prepared for laparoscopy, you can try one more IUI before laparoscopy. Laparoscopy helps in pelvic evaluation & finding & treating subtle problems which can't be seen on scan.
Before proceeding further just do one scan to confirm/rule out pregnancy. If scan shows no pregnancy, she can do blood betaHCG to know about pregnancy with 100% confidence.
Wish you good health & the desired result.
Let me know the report of scan.
Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, took IUI. Getting pregnancy symptoms and advised Duphaston with Folinal. Further? 2 days later
Hi doc,

Thanks for you advice on the lap.

However, am not clear on your statement "If IUI was done in July month you can do one transvaginal scan if she has not yet got menses".

Hence, providing the dates below for better clarity:

28 Jun - Periods started.
13 Jul - 1st IUI done.
28 Jul - IUI unsuccessful; periods started.

Took 1 month break.

24 Aug - Periods started.
07 Sep - 2nd IUI done.

Question 1: Which date should we go and take the pregnancy test to get a confirmed result?

Question 2: If the 2nd IUI fails, and she gets her periods, should we take a gap of 2 months and then go for lap? Our OBGYN initially advised this.

Question 3: If yes, just wanted o understand why.

Question 4: How many days of bedrest are required for lap?

Question 5: What are the precautions to be taken after the lap?

Question 6: What foods to avoid after lap?

Eagerly looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks & Regards
XXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can take break.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Actually I read your query as IUI done in 7th month & misunderstood it to be done in July. I am sorry for that.

Regarding further queries if IUI is done on 7th September, there are two options to confirm pregnancy. One is with blood test (beta HCG), it will give 100% correct result when done on or after 21st September. If you do urine pregnancy test, you can do it on 28th September or after that (if she doesn't get menses by then) to avoid false negative result.

Answer 2: If IUI fails, you can take break of 2-3 months as advised by your doctor.

Answer 3: Purpose of such break is to take away anxiety & if you try naturally in those 2 months without stress (which is already there due to your profession & working hours) it can help in conception. If you are lucky, you can even conceive & avoid laparoscopy.

Answer 4: Laparoscopy doesn't require any bed rest (if extensive surgery like fibroid removal or chocolate cyst removal is not done). But she needs to avoid strenuous work like lifting heavy weight & strenuous exercise for 5-7 days. She can continue office work from 2nd or 3rd day of laparoscopy if everything goes well.

Answer 5: There are no specific precautions to be taken after lap. You should go for active treatment for conception after lap as early as possible.

Answer 6: No specific food to be avoided after lap.

Let me know if you have other concerns.
Regards.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, took IUI. Getting pregnancy symptoms and advised Duphaston with Folinal. Further? 3 days later
Hi doc,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Helped us better understand the requirements and take informed decisions.

By the way, my wife got her menses yesterday! So yet another unsuccessful IUI :(

However, as advised by both you and our OBGYN, will take a break for a couple of months to relax her body and mind, along with trying normally. Will go for lap after that.

Just a couple of question for now:

Ques 1: Is it advisable for her to do rigorous execises like running and gymming during this 2 months time before going for lap?

Ques 2: Any health foods that can help her increase fertility?

Ques 3: Any foods for her to avoid while trying to conceive, since we will now be trying normally?

Thanks in anticipation. It was really a pleasure hearing from you.

Warm regards,
XXXXX XXXXXXX

Brief Answer:
Can continue exercise.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Answer 1: She can continue rigorous exercises like running and gymming during these 2 months time before going for lap. In fact we advise normally such exercises to all infertile couples.
Answer 2. No food known to improve fertility. However all foods containing antioxidants (fruits & dry fruits) are known to maintain sperm/egg quality.
Answer 3: She has to avoid food that is too oily/spicy/contains too much carbohydrates (all type of sweets). Continue to eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, fruits (avoid fruit juice), dry fruits. Avoid fast foods like pizzas, burgers etc.
Hope you find the answer helpful.
It was indeed a pleasure in assisting you in decision making.
Wish you good health.
Regards.