Trying to conceive, taking treatment for infertility. Have delay periods. Suggest?

Question
am 34 year old, just complete one year married life planning to pregnant.
i and my husband have normal result but as doctor mention i will reach 35 after one year then my pregnancy will reduce to 50% so i did Stimulate the ovaries by tablet and injection but with no result only i have delay on my period for 10 days till today. today my doctor ask me to take progyluton tablets and i had to stop it immediatly once i has period.
please advice do i need to take this kind of medicine or i had to wait for normal period ????
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later

It is true that the relative fertility rates drop as age advances. As long as you are ovulating regularly and there are no other hindrances to natural conception like blocked tubes, male factor defects, cervical factors and so on, you can expect natural conception at any age.

Since you had ovulation induction and have a delayed period, it is essential that you rule out pregnancy before you proceed with any other sort of treatment. Progyluton contains estrogen and is not advisable to induce a withdrawal bleed in the present situation. Progesterones may instead be used.

I would ask you to test for pregnancy through blood test and a trans-vaginal sonogram and wait for your normal period to set in if pregnancy is excluded. If you do not attain your normal period, you may see a specialist for further management. Also, resorting to ovulation induction without proper prior investigation and priming is not expected to give good results; so please avoid unnecessary medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact, if you need further clarification. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, taking treatment for infertility. Have delay periods. Suggest? 40 minutes later
thanks for your reply
i did normal blood test from day one ( 01 XXXXXXX ) of delay of my period and it was negative, i will wait for my normal period but my doctor advice me to do IVF next month.

what is a trans-vaginal sonogram?? my normal blood and Urine test was negative :(
what do you think?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Trans-vaginal sonogram is an ultrasonogram where a probe is introduced into the vaginal cavity and sonography performed. This gives very good resolution of the pelvic organs and a very early pregnancy can be detected with ease.

Blood test for pregnancy measures serum beta-hCG levels in the blood; this is the hormone released during pregnancy and this can be observed as soon as 7-10 days after conception. This is an early test for confirmation of pregnancy. It is very sensitive. Urine pregnancy test is expected to read positive only if performed after 3-7 days after a missed period. It is not so sensitive.

If you tested negative for pregnancy through a blood test as well, then it is likely that you did not conceive in this cycle. You should cross-check with a trans-vaginal sonogram by an expert sonologist. If tested negative, you may use hormones for withdrawal.

Since I do not have the course of events through your treatment, I cannot comment on the need of IVF here. You may consult an infertility expert for a second opinion before you embark on any major procedure.

Hope I have made things clear. Please get back, if you have further queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, taking treatment for infertility. Have delay periods. Suggest? 23 hours later

Please i need to now about medicine name duphaston 10mg (dydrogesterone 10 mg), because i need to get pregnant the doctor give me this medicine after injection ( i go for Stimulate the ovaries as you know), but now because i have delay in my period the other doctor write the same medicine for me to let the period came agin??

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Duphaston is Dydrogesterone, a progestogen (progesterone-like) drug orally active at very smaller doses and devoid of the unwanted side effects of other synthetic progestogens. It is used to support the pregnancy during the postovulatory phase if conception occurs in cases of infertility with luteal phase insufficiency. It is safe to use to attain withdrawal bleeding in your case. As it is safe to use in pregnancy, you may follow your doctor's instructions to attain a withdrawal as a test.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, taking treatment for infertility. Have delay periods. Suggest? 8 minutes later

thanks for your quick reply.

but now what do you recommend in my case to take it to withdrawal bleed (period)
progyluton tablets or Duphaston is Dydrogesterone.i have to start today one of them as i am 100% sure not pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 7 minutes later

Personally, I would recommend Dydrogesterone among the two choices. I would ask you to consult your specialist also since I did not personally see you and the opinion of your consultant would be better in this matter. As a matter of fact, using an estrogen for a withdrawal is not the practice of the day; progesterones are the choice.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to get back if you have any more questions.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, taking treatment for infertility. Have delay periods. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thanks
Next month I will go for IVF because of my age but I don't know if you can recommend good doctor in Abu Dhabi UAE.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I am very sorry I am not so sure about expert infertility specialists in your area. I will surely give you a feedback if I get across some information that is useful to you.

Wish you good luck and good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.