Trying to conceive, pregnancy test negative, have nausea and cramps. Could I be pregnant?

Mar 2016

I am trying to conceive. My period is now 9 days late but I have taken a pregnancy test every 3 days and they are all negative. I have been feeling nauseous every morning and have cramps and back pain but no period. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you should undergo one blood test for beta-HCG & pelvic ultrasound scan at the earliest. Early home pregnancy test is less significant and may give negative result.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, thyroid disturbance, high prolactin level etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like ultrasound scan of pelvis, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.