Trying to conceive, nausea, light headed, increased appetite, sensitive to smells headache, low cervix. Could I be pregnant?

May 2013
Hello all. My fiance and are TTC. I was due to start my menses 6/4 but did not. I have been nauseous, light headed, increased appetite, sensitive to smells, head aches on and off but have now started what I am thinking is my menses. After being 14 days late, my fiance` and I slept together and I noticed for the first time ever in my life that my cervix was very low. It was almost like there was not enough room for him at all. Intercourse was painful and not pleasurable at all. As I stated, I have NEVER had this happen before. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

according to your description,
-as there is 14 days delay in getting periods and according to your symptoms there is possibility of pregnancy.

-but periods can become delayed because of many factors like hormonal disturbances,

-stress and strain, weight changes, recent illness etc can affect hypothalamopituitary ovarian axis leading to delayed periods.

as you noticed your cervix is low that can be because of,
-prolapse of cervix,
-presence of cervical polyp which you have interpreted as prolapse.

so now you consult local gynecologist and get examined to rule out presence of prolapse and undergo either blood test or urine test to detect pregnancy.
depending on the results further management can be planned.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive, nausea, light headed, increased appetite, sensitive to smells headache, low cervix. Could I be pregnant? 3 minutes later
I do thank you for the above information. I just have a few more things I wanted to add that I forgot about. I am usually very regular with my menses and this was what triggered the cause for concern about the pregnancy. I went to a CNC and after her scan, it showed that I had a hormonal imbalance but she said that this could be from being pregnant. What causes a prolapse of cervix? Also, other symptoms that I forgot to list are bloating, tender breasts, and the want to cry about everything.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later

you didn't mention what was the exact changes in your scan.

your symptoms bloating, breast tenderness, mood fluctuations can be seen in,
- early pregnancy :
as you had previous regular periods,
and now there is delay of 14 days,
as your doctor mentioned scan findings related to hormonal imbalance, if that were increase thickness of endometrium and presence of cyst in the ovary etc,
then the chance of pregnancy is there.

- in premenstrual syndrome:
the above symptoms can be seen in some women few days before periods which is called premenstrual syndrome.
if scan showed small sized multiple cysts in the ovary etc it that may be reason for your delayed periods by causing hormonal imbalance.

the causes of prolapse are,
The uterus will be well supported by different muscles and ligaments at different levels,
So if weakening of these structures occurs prolapse can occur,
The weakness can occur because of,
-difficult labor, multiple births,
-with advancing age,
-decreased estrogen at menopause,
-conditions which can increase abdominal pressure like chronic cough, constipation, ascetic, tumors, lifting heavy weights etc can cause,
-pelvic surgeries disrupting the supportive structures
-nulliparous prolapse is seen in young women without a history of child birth, it can be due to pelvic organ congenital dysplasia, malnutrition etc.

So if you go to gynecologist, she will examine you to find out the possibility of pregnancy and to rule out presence of prolapse.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.