Trying to conceive, missed periods, having light bleeding with cramps. Is this periods or implantation bleed ?

May 2013
me and my partner recently started trying for a baby, i stopped taking the pill on the 15th may 2012 after approx 14yrs of being on it, on the 19th may i had a period but this was obviously only instigated by the pill not naturally, from this we worked out whenwe though i'd be ovulating and had lots of intercourse around this time. I thought my period would come on 16th XXXXXXX but it arrive so i thought i might be pregnant as i have been having quite bad stomach cramps for the last 10days but i did a home pregnancy test and it was negative (i did another yesterday to double check but still negative). Then on the 20th XXXXXXX i started having some very light bleeding (dark red/brown very sticky) but it is so light it is only visable when i wipe after going to the toilet, this is still happening today. Im wondering now whether this is actually my period or not? if it is will it be heavy enough to mean i'll ovulate or not this month? if not how can i get my period to get heavy enough to ovulate/concieve this month (i heard you can get provera tablets from the doctor but i work long hours and struggle to get, is there anything over the counter i can buy that'll help?) or is it best to buy an ovulation kit and see if im actually ovulating and go from there? im 28 150lbs, 5ft 8, quite active as im a PE teacher, eat reasonably healthy, no health problems i know of, and as far as i can remember my periods were pretty normal before i started the pill way back then,
as much advice as possible would be gratefully recieved as we are desperate to concieve asap
thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to your description the possible explanations are,

-after stoppage of pills it can take 3 to 6 months for regularization of menstruation.
and first few cycles could be anovulatory.
that may one reason for your delayed periods.

-your light bleeding could be,
implantation bleeding,
inter-menstrual bleeding.

as some urine pregnancy test kits are less sensitive during early pregnancy,
now you consult gynecologist and undergo blood test for pregnancy,
if positive follow with regular checkups,
if negative follow your cycles by tracking the ovulation with kits and plan intercourse around the that time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive, missed periods, having light bleeding with cramps. Is this periods or implantation bleed ? 3 hours later
Thanks could you explain what hypomenorrhea is please? And is this is a period with it being light will it still mean i am actually ovulating or could it mean i won't be ovulating till i get a heavier period back again? Is there any over the counter remedies that could help get my normal periods back quicker? I have booked an appointment for the doctors for Thursday in the mean time is it worth buying a more sensitive test to do at home or should a urine test have shown up by now if it was goin to?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later

hypomenorrhea is decreased amount of blood flow during periods,
it can be seen in ovulatory sometimes in anovulatory cycles.

Normally in ovulatory cycles women will experience bloating sensation of abdomen, vaginal discharge, breast tenderness etc, these symptoms usually not seen in anovular bleeding.
Some times anovulatory bleeding can be heavy because of lack of progesterone limitation.
You can track ovulation with kits.

better you go for blood test after consulting the doctor to rule out pregnancy.
if test comes negative, she may prescribe ovulation induction drugs.
meanwhile you start taking folic acid and multi vitamin tablets which will be useful in case of pregnancy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.