Trying to conceive, light spot bleeding. Pregnancy test negative. Mirena removed recently. Reason?

I am 31 years old, and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for 10 months now. The dates of last month's period were Sept. 21 - 28, starting with spotting for 1 day, then light, progressing to medium for 2 days, then back to light the last few days. I am using OPK's and received a positive result on Oct. 8, 9, and 10th. We did have well timed intercourse during that time. Using the Oct. 9th as actual ovulation day, I began light bleeding in the morning of 6 dpo. I thought it was a bit early but assumed it was my period and used a tampon for the rest of the day. When taking it out, there was virtually nothing on it. The entire next day there was nothing. Then on 8 dpo I encountered brown spotting only in morning, with absolutely nothing the rest of the day. 9 dpo I have very mucus-y light pink spotting, again only in the morning. 10dpo I had a bit of brown spotting again, 11dpo both brown and pink alternating. Today is 14dpo with more of the same. This makes 9 days since the start. This spotting has only been showing on TP after using the bathroom, never heavier. Last month was my typical period, so this is very odd to me. I did take a pregnancy test yesterday but the result was negative. Is it too early to test, or is there another reason behind my strange cycle this month? I also had Mirena removed August 2010, and it had taken me about 6 months to return to a normal cycle. Thank you!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

You are having mild spotting from 15th october till today. This light intermittent bleeding might be due to pregnancy. Doing a urine for pregnancy test is too early right now.

The only way to know about pregnancy is by getting your serum Hcg levels tested. A doubling of Hcg levels over 48 hours is indicative of a successful conception. You can consult your gynecologist for the tests required.

Going for an ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy will also be helpful.

If there is no pain abdomen, then you can wait for five days more and do a repeat urine for pregnancy test using an early morning sample of urine after 28th october.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.