Trying to conceive, had irregular menstrual cycles. Ovulation predictor kit showed positive around day 7 and 8. Correct?

Question
I've always had irregular menstrual cycles and they are around 55 days long and I go months without a period sometimes. I'm trying to conceive and I'm using an ovulation predictor kit for the past 3 months and I am getting positives around cycle day 7 or 8. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with me since I've heard that having a cycle over 45 days is usually do to not ovulating at all and that the uterine lining sheds from being too heavy not because of ovulation.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance can cause false positive result

Detailed Answer:
During irregular cycles there are more chances of anovulation & periods are due to shedding of overgrown endometrium due to unopposed effect of estrogen.
ovulation occurs 14-16 days before your expected date of period & it is the delayed ovulation that prolongs your cycles if you are ovulating.
So it is also strange that you are getting ovulation test positive at 7-8 days of your cycle that is very early if you are having prolonged cycles. It seems to be false positive due to hormonal imbalance.
I will advise you to get your serum LH,FSH, Prolactin, Thyroid profile, blood sugar & ultrasound scan done to detect cause of irregular period & to detect your ovulatory status.
I will be available for your further queries.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, had irregular menstrual cycles. Ovulation predictor kit showed positive around day 7 and 8. Correct? 6 hours later
I just cane back from my obgyn who i seen for the first timr. He woukd not do any blood work for me and was very rude. He said my irregular periods were due to pcos. Hoe can a doctor know that without even examining you? He did a pelvic exam and said everything looks normal

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
PCOS can be suspected clinically

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
PCOS is one of the most common cause for irregular period & amenorrhea.
If you are obese & having hirsutism doctor can suspect to be of PCOS.
However to confirm it investigations are mandatory.
To detect PCOS I advised you these tests like LH,FSH & ultrasound scan.
To rule out other causes of irregular period like hypothyroidism, diabetes other tests are advised.
On pelvic examination doctor can detect your pregnancy but to detect PCOS is quite impossible.
Once your periods will be regular chances of conception will increase.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, had irregular menstrual cycles. Ovulation predictor kit showed positive around day 7 and 8. Correct? 12 hours later
I went to my doctor and got blood tests done for all of my reproductive hormones. And also an ultrasound done of my pelvis. I will attach a picture of the scans. My results will be in by friday of this week. From looking at the scans does this look like pcos to you?

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
provide report

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
It is very difficult to interpret with downloaded film.
kindly send printed report issued by radiologist & your blood investigation reports so that I can diagnose the problem.
Thank you.