Trying to conceive, diagnosed diabetic. Given progynova and duphaston. All test normal. Suggest?

Hi Doctor, we are planing for a baby we have consulted a doc here in India she has asked us to go thru several tests after which all tests been normal and my wife is a diabetic. doctor has suggested for couple of harmonal tablets called Progynova 2mg and Duphaston 10 mg, since all the tests are normal does this tablets are required to take? does this tabs has any side effects pls reply.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary in a normal individual.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

The medication prescribed is used when there is insufficient hormone production in the body. It is given to secrete endometrium and maintain it to support the embryo if conception occurs. If you can, please upload the reports or at least convey what is reported in them. Without those, I cannot comment any further on the idea behind prescribing these medications.

There are side effects which are observed as with any other hormonal medication, like menstrual disturbances, breast tenderness, gastric disturbances, impact on the liver metabolism and abnormalities in the vascular system-to mention a few.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.