Trying to conceive, delayed periods, dizziness, negative HCG beta test. Prescribed Duphaston. Pregnancy chance?

Question
Hello Doctor, I am trying to conceive and am 11 days late for my period. I got my last period on 8th of July and have always had a regular 28 - 29 day cycle. On 12th August, I did a HCG beta test which was negative. I am having evening sickness, dizziness and weakness throughout the day. I met my doctor today morning and she has prescribed duphaston tabs 10 mg for 5 days and to wait for a week to see if period begins. Also asked me to continue with folic acid tabs. She did not do an XXXXXXX exam or an ultrasound. However, with the negative test, says its unlikely i am expecting. Is there any chance of being pregnant? If i get my periods, how do I know that these are regular periods and not a miscarriage?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

In a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days ovulation generally occurs on 14th day of menstrual period. Next period occurs on 14th day of ovulation.

If ovulation is delayed due to any reason, period will be delayed accordingly.

Blood test for Beta HCG is a reliable test for pregnancy. If it was negative on 12th, it means you were not pregnant on 12th Aug.

Your doctor has prescribed you Duphaston to induce withdrawal bleeding.

Folic acid is vitamin and given as supplement to women of child bearing age.

XXXXXXX examination and USG are of no use so early.

Are you using ovulation prediction kit to identify ovulation day?

Bleeding is generally heavy due to miscarriage and it may contain the embryo. While bleeding due to period will be as usual containing clots in it.

If period occurs after confirmation of pregnancy with test, is miscarriage.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Trying to conceive, delayed periods, dizziness, negative HCG beta test. Prescribed Duphaston. Pregnancy chance? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your reply Doctor but my most important query is still not answered. XXXXXXX However, with the negative blood test for pregnancy, she says its unlikely i am expecting XXXXXXX But Is there any chance of being pregnant?did I test too early? Can HCG levels be very low in early pregnancy? Do duphaston tabs induce periods naturally or do artificially i.e - what if i am pregnant and have duphaston tabs - will they help in increasing HCG and hence protect my pregnancy or will they terminate my pregnancy and make me have my periods?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 51 minutes later

Welcome again,

If your ovulation has occurred as usual on 14th day (21/22 July), chances of pregnancy are not present.

If it was blood test to detect beta HCG, it was not too early.

HCG levels are lower during early pregnancy. In a non-pregnant women level of Beta HCG is less than 10 mlU/ml. In a pregnant women, level of HCG becomes more than 100 on 14th day of ovulation (due date of period).

Natural period occurs on 14th day of ovulation. If there is no ovulation and provided you are not pregnant, Duphaston will cause menstruation due to withdrawal of it.

Duphaston can't increase HCG level, but used to prevent recurrent miscarriage. Thus duphaston shouldn't terminate your pregnancy.

As soon as you start menstruation, you can get blood tested to detect Beta HCG
level, and if it is high, it was a miscarriage.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma