Trying to conceive but not able to. Had taken pills earlier to avoid pregnancy. Suggest?

Mar 2016

Dear Sir,

I am a medical insurer from Bajaj Allianz, i want to ask about pregnancy related questions. My age is 31 years and my wife is 28 years and we married in the year of 2011 (March). Since last 3 months we have tried for intercourse and we could not get the success. Previous History, earlier we had 3 times unprotected Sex and my wife had taken 3 Pills for avoiding pregnancy. So would like to check with specialist or Gynecologist.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do Unprotected sex on Fertile days for 6-12 months

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, you both need to try for at least 6 to 12 months for successful conception. Previous taking of 3 emergency pill (I think so) does not reduce fertility or chance of conception if she has regular period of course. 3 months time is not enough for successful pregnancy.

Follow this guideline which helps you to maximize the chance of pregnancy:

1) Do unprotected sex without any contraceptive method close to her ovulation day (14 days prior to next due date) or fertile days (12th to 18th day of each 28 - 30 days regular cycle) for at least 6 to 12 months. She can use ovulation prediction kit or LH kit to predict ovulation day in mid cycle. It is available in medical store.

2) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

3) Do light exercise for physical fitness and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation/ yoga. Maintain a healthy life style.

Lastly, if you fail to conceive within 6-12 months of regular sex after tracking ovulation day or fertile days, both of you need to undergo some basic fertility tests.

These includes 1) Semen Analysis, 2) Pelvic ultrasound scan of your wife to check reproductive organs 3) Test for tubal patency and cervical factors, 4) Thyroid profile and D-21 progesterone hormone assay, 5) Follicular study for proper ovulation 6) Blood sugar, Hb% and prolactin level test etc.

In such case, you can consult with gynecologist or infertility specialist for proper guidance of above mentioned tests and management of the case.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Trying to conceive but not able to. Had taken pills earlier to avoid pregnancy. Suggest? 37 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

As per your advised, i have taken VITAFOL TAB (Moxy Lab) for Folic Acid and EVION 400 for Vitamin E. Please guide me for the usage of this tablets.

One more question, wanted to ask for intercourse, since last 2 times my spouse got the urine infection after the intercourse. Is it the issue for pregnency ? Please give us your advise.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up queries. Followings are my comments:

1) You would continue above two medications as per advice and follow suggestive measures according to earlier reply.

2) No, urinary infection is not related to her pregnancy issue. However, it should be treated properly. Just follow the guideline to avoid urinary infection:

a) Both of you would maintain proper genital hygiene before and after sexual intercourse.

b) Do one urine examination- routine & culture. Start oral antibiotic on the basis of culture report. You can consult with your doctor for proper prescription after the test result.

c) Water intake should be 2.5 to 3 liter/ day. Drink Cranberry juice 1 to 2 glass to flush out body toxin. It has supportive role in prevention of urinary infection.

d) Avoid chemical subs/ bath products/ perfume around genital area. Empty bladder in time and do not over pressure your bladder.

e) Take urine alkaliser (like Syp Uriliser) 2 to 3 times daily, mixed with water for alkalinization of urine. It is helpful to reduce infection load and recurrence.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best and good luck.

Dr Soumen