Trying to conceive, both partners overweight. Taking zoloft, elavil, hydrocodone. Can we conceive without medication?

Infertility Specialist
I am 30 and my husband is 32. We are both 50 lbs overweight. We have a six year old son. We have been trying to conceive for 10 months, having unprotected sex for close to 2 years. I take Zoloft and he takes elavil, hydrocodone, oxycodone and robaxin beacuse of ain injury due to a car accident. Is there a good chance that we can conceive without medical intervention even though he is on all of these medications? Is it most likely the medications or the weight? I chart my cerival mucus and basal body temperature and I ovulate every month about day 16 and have a 13-15 day luteul phase
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 4 hours later
Thank you for posting your query!
I do understand your anxiety about the current state of affairs.
The chances of conception without medical intervention can be assessed only after both you and your husband have undergone a comprehensive assessment and medication doses have been optimised. Further, a pre-pregnancy counselling also needs to be done.
As I infer, the cervical mucus chart appears to be normal.
There are several factors which can contribute to difficulty in conceiving and they can be assessed only after a comprehensive evaluation.
As far as the medication is concerned, you are currently receiving Zoloft which is an anti-depressant. The use of this drug is associated with an extremely small risk of some birth defects and thus it is important for you to consult your physician regarding the dose of the medication since you are planning a baby.
Your husband is currently receiving Elavil, hydrocodone, oxycodone and robaxin. While oxycodone and robaxin may not have an effect on fertility, hydrocodone can cause a severe drop in testosterone levels which can lead to endocrine problems over a long period of time. Also, it is possible that Elavil is contributing to his weight gain.
I would recommend that your husband gets a semen analysis after consulting his treating physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Dr Nandita Thakkar