Trying to conceive. Undergone follicular study. Trans-vaginal ultrasound done. Am I pregnant?

i am trying to conceive from past five months. My doctor has advised me to get follecular study done to understand whether i am ovulating or not. we started tracking this from 12th day. There was no growth on 12th and 15th day. and on the 21st day the the endomet thickness was 9.7 and left ovarian follicle was 20.9 X 19.7 mm. Doctor gave me an injection of HCG 5000 on the same day and advised me to have intercourse on the same say and after after. And advised me to get a transvaginal ultrasound done on 23rd day. i did followed the instruction, In the 23rd day scanning, the follicle was regressed in size, 9.8 X8.2 mm with free fluid seen in POD (Ovulatery cycle). We did had IC on that day too. On 32nd day, i got a Beta BCG (blood test) done and the Value is 23.3 mlU/ml. Now, i want to know, whether i am pregnant or is this the traces of teh HCG injection provided to me?? Shall i repeat the test tomorrow or day after and check whether HCG level is increasing or decreasing. i presume, if this level decrease,it was the traces left out and if the level increase, i am pregnant?? Could you please help me, is this the right way to conclude. thanks
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 hours later
The beta HCG level at 23.3 mIU 10 days after ovulation is likely to be due to pregnancy. This is less likely to be due to the injection of HCG that was given to you for follicle rupture. the best way to know is to get the repeat test of serum beta HCG done 48 hours after the previous test. The value of HCG should double in 48 hours if it is a viable pregnancy.
An ultrasound scan may also detect a small gestational sac in the uterus by now. You can consult your gynecologist for the same.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.